Pages

Thursday 21 January 2016

Deja Vu

I bought my first 7" record in September 1973. I was ten years old.
It was the Sweet's 'Ballroom Blitz'. I went out the next day to buy two more; 'Angel Fingers' by Wizzard and 'Life On Mars?' by David Bowie. That was only the beginning.


Glam rock gave pop back to the kids after years of progressive rock doodling and fret-wank. To many it was a beacon of light in a country that was literally in the dark.


In most respects glam rock is totally fake, but to young kids like me it was real and alive. It may have been 'Brickies in eyeliner' but to the kids it was 'stardust for the dudes'.

Of course I am looking back on all this from the perspective of a 53 year old man; wife, children and all that comes with it, but sometimes when I play the old records I am ten years old again and it's perpetually 1973. So I guess I will always have my rose tinted specs firmly on when looking back at that time.

I have loved other music with a greater passion since, but not with the same youthful joy, or with such a sense of longing and nostalgia when I hear it played. And now 43 years after buying that 
first single I sit here writing this.


"Are you ready Steve? Aha!
Andy? Yeah!
Mick? OK!

Alright fellas, lets go"

0 comments:

Post a Comment